BWS 1st Annual Author & Writers Jazz & Poetry Nite

March 21, 2012

1 comment

  1. I have a friend who wrote this. It moved me to find someone to read it that will know its true worth.

    Sitting here, in an empty room… Wondering why life is so cruel…. I see all the good that I have attempted and the wrongs that I have righted but… I am still sitting here in an empty room, alone. I shake my head and brush my hands through the grey hair that has rapidly grown through my head. I look older than the mid 30’s that I am and it gives me more reasons to shake my head. I pick up the glass that I have found my temporary solace and take a strong sip… I am amazed that this is the only thing that gives me comfort… I contemplate what is next to come my way because it seems that I became the biggest magnet for bullshit… I look at my watch and see that the hour is nearer and there is no reason to change plans so late in the game.
    I pace around the spacious room that once gave me some of the best moments of my life, and sees the shattered picture frame on the floor… It reminds me how my life is in shambles and how my heart has cracked just like the glass in the frame. I feel the burning within my chest where my heart has been ripped out and sense the bitter sweet remorse of my decision to end this charade… I stand on the balcony and see the traffic below, unawares of the sorrow that is hovering above them… If I die, I wonder who will cry… Never mind these thoughts because I learned that I am alone, sitting in an empty room…
    All I wanted was to be whole but friends, family and loved ones proved that love isn’t love when you don’t get it back as you gave it… I turn around and look at the picture shrouded by the cascade of glass… I saw two people that once were in love but as I wipe the broken slivers from portrait, I see a new sight… It seems my innocence denied me to see that the smile on my lovely bride never reached her eyes… I have seen this many times after we were married and… I have seen this glimpse before when we were dating… I just thought I was over sensitive. This is the same smile that came after she revealed her hand so many times during our short lived marriage, when she let me know that I was always more than 5 steps behind her, in every endeavor…
    I realized that no matter how much I told her how much I loved her and showed her how much she meant to me, the affections were never returned. I dealt with the lies, the games, the guilt, the betrayal butt her absence was the only action the made me want to lose control and react… I toss the picture to side and pick up my drink, only to realize that I needed a refill. I make a fresh drink to help ease my mind but I see that it will not allow me to erase my fate. I glance at the clock and see that the time has drawn nearer… I inadvertently pace the four corners, not knowing that it will only direct me back to the point of origin that begins underneath the clock… tick, tock… tick, tock… tick, tock…
    Tears role down my eyes as I realize that what must be done, has to be done… I turn to the balcony and step outside to see the sunset… It is so beautiful but who am I to judge it? I, like many others, take for granted the smallest pleasures of life… I was startled out of my thoughts when the first chime of the hour sounds out. I look to the farthest distance and feel the cool breeze chill the sweat on my back… I turn and place my finished drink on the rail and empty my pockets on the deck table… I take all of my jewelry off except the band on my left hand… I turn it a couple of times before I say donec mors nos pars ...: till death do us part... and leap across the balcony… Just before I land next to my bride, sprawled on the ground below, I whisper: “Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine”: "Grant them eternal rest, O Lord"

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Black Writers Space. Design by FCD.